R&D Engineer Position (Composites)
Inductosense is a fast-growing, dynamic young business based in Bristol. We have a development plan to diversify the business into the Composites sector and we are now looking for a R&D Engineer to support sensor development and integration in composites.
Inductosense provides novel wireless, battery-free permanently installed sensors, systems and analytics for non-destructive testing in the Oil & Gas sector. Our existing technology can be used for monitoring corrosion, erosion or defects within structures without human error and reducing the time and costs associated with conventional inspection.
Role & Responsibilities
The candidate will be instrumental in developing new and existing sensors for fibre-reinforced polymer (FRP) Composite materials. The successful candidate will have experience in non-destructive inspection of Composites and be able to develop and evaluate ultrasonic-based sensor technologies for Composite damage mode detection and propagation.
The role will involve:
- Modelling ultrasonic waves in different composite structures
- Carrying out literature review(s) relating to sensor technology development and integration
- Sensor concept design, manufacture and material integration
- FRP composite manufacture, inspection and testing
- Employing best practice non-destructive test (NDT) techniques in line with existing industrial standards
- Working independently to problem solve and co-ordinate with external suppliers, service providers and end-users
- Contributing to the R&D team and company-wide product development
- Identifying and capturing key opportunities for sensor integration in composites
- Support to marketing and dissemination activities including attending tradeshows, conferences and events
- Developing and maintaining relationships with composite end-users
The successful candidates will have:
- A University degree in Engineering/Physics/Materials Science(mandatory)
- A PhD in Engineering/Physics/Materials Science or industrial experience of Ultrasonic inspection of composites (desirable)
- Experience with non-destructive testing techniques (mandatory)
- Experience of programming in Matlab and Labview (mandatory)
- Experience of finite element modelling (mandatory)
- Experience of ultrasonic guided waves (desirable)
- Experience with strain gauges (desirable)
- Knowledge of electrical and electronics system (desirable)
- Experience of manufacturing and testing composite specimens (desirable)
- Excellent communication skills (mandatory)
- The ability to work Agile and to quarterly deadlines (mandatory)
- A willingness to present at conferences and tradeshows to disseminate research and product developments (desirable)
Right to work
- The right to live and work in the UK (mandatory)
Workplace & working hours: The business is based in central Bristol, UK. The appointment is on a permanent full-time basis of 37.5 hours per week with set core hours.
Salary: £Competitive (depending upon experience and qualification). Package includes 25 days holiday and a 5% company pension contribution.
To apply: Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com