The WAND handheld data collector can be used by anyone on the asset to cost-effectively collect accurate, repeatable ultrasonic thickness data from installed sensors.
The WAND-HDC system provides an alternative approach to internal corrosion and erosion monitoring. There are 3 elements to the system (i) thin wireless, battery-free, embeddable ultrasonic sensors (ii) a handheld data collector and (iii) software for analysis:
Ultrasonic thickness sensors
Ultrasonic thickness sensors that are permanently installed to the surface of pipework and vessels using adhesive.
• Battery-free - wirelessly activated
• Ultrathin: easily embeddable & lightweight
• RFID tagged
• ATEX/IECEx certified (ATEX: Ex ia IIC T4...T3 Ga)
Handheld data collector
Handheld tool that wirelessly collects thickness measurements from the TMS sensors
• User interface displays ultrasonic A-scan, thickness and location information
• Easy to use – anyone can take a measurement, which reduces demand for specialist personnel
• Acquire a measurement in seconds
Data management software
Software for remote management of the data collected from the sensors
• Manage all sensor measurements remotely
• Analyse ultrasonic A-scans and determine corrosion/erosion rates
• Export reports and raw data
How it works
An electromagnetic signal is transmitted by the WAND, which activates the sensor. When activated, the sensor generates an ultrasonic pulse, which then gets reflected off the back wall of the structure being examined. An electromagnetic signal is sent back by the sensor, which gets received by the WAND. The WAND calculates the material thickness using either: the delay between the first and second ultrasonic echoes, or the delay between the initial ultrasonic pulse and the first received ultrasonic echo.
Each sensor comes with an associated RFID to enable location tracking. The WAND is equipped with an RFID reader which scans for the sensor RFID when a measurement is taken and automatically assigns the thickness value to the sensor RFID number.
We provide accessories to complement the WAND system. These have been designed to help overcome access issues: